Good afternoon all! Have a butchers at some of this week’s social news….
- Facebook shares open at $38.22, finally returning to their IPO price after a year of tough times.
- Facebook brings out embeddable posts. Allowing users to share their most compelling posts on blogs and other websites. This is a good thing for Facebook as it means it is far easier to click through to the website. I don’t understand why it took so long to implement this though.
- Facebook new feature On this Day – lets you take a look at what happened this time last year, or the year before.
Kantar Media announced a strategic alliance with Twitter– the first of three which will allow Kantar to provide broadcasters with more data about how their shows are received on the social network.
Amazon creates its own Pinterest Knock off- Collections. With Pinterest being such a high traffic driver it seems weird that Amazon would want to compete in this market. Obviously the quantity of things is far smaller on Collections because it only includes Amazon stuff. Read more on Techcrunch.
Real time response from Confused.com -Last week it was the Royal Baby, this week it is the Cowell Baby. (Simon Cowell has got his friend’s wife pregnant) Confused.com didn’t waste any time and have created a Simon Cowell like baby outfit.Very clever, real time marketing.
- After the success of the documentary/film of Ayrton Senna Honda have created Sound of Honda – Ayrton Senna 1989. Honda arranged lights and speakers arranged in the path of Senna’s record breaking lap he took around the Japan’s Suzuka track. It is a stunning, but loud, tribute to the driving legend.
- Camp Gyno – I HATE tampon adverts… this one however is pretty funny. With nearly 4M views in 5 days I’m not the only one who thinks so.
- Windows Surface continues to show their strong points vs. the iPad. Funny, but still not convinced.
- GoPro- using a game of fetch with a dog to promote the camera.
- Enterprise Rent A Car had a print ‘cock up’. It is hard to explain exactly what the print advert said without being too crude so check it out here. So they decided to join Twitter and clarify what services they do provide.
- Don’t mess with the one direction fans. GQ magazine have found out the hard way this week. Great publicity for the magazine I reckon.
Tech- New app SnappyCam allows you to take 20 seconds per second with iPhone.
Written by PHD’s Social Media Strategist Tom Gatenby