- Facebook Graph Search – is now being rolled out to all Facebook users and should be available to everyone in the UK by the end of the month. Not sure what it is? Read up here.
- Google+ has been updated making it easier for users to see what their friends like. Good news for brands on the network.
- Instagram is now allowing for images and videos to be embedded in articles and blog posts.
O2 on Twitter
- O2, renowned for their witty responses on Twitter, have been taken on by Tesco Mobile in a Twitter rap battle. This has caused a huge number of RTs and new followers for both. A great, fun use of the social network by both brands. Who do you think won?
@O2 We wanted a rap not a nursery rhyme. Ya old news & we’re prime time. Get out of our way, ya holding us back, oh, & your service is Jack.
— Tesco Mobile (@tescomobile) July 11, 2013
- It has been a busy week for O2 engaging with other brands on Twitter. They had a ‘cute-off with Tango, Innocent drinks and Betfair on Twitter as well. Another great way of promoting their #Bemoredog campaign.
Tech/ New Apps / Weird stuff-
- Snaplay is a reverse image search app that lets you snap a photo of a piece of media to retrieve associated music and videos which can then be viewed within the app. It’s like the ‘Shazam for images.’
- Paddy Power is releasing a Facebook app allowing users to bet for real money within the app.
- Move over Facebook Poke- the Facebook Outback B-Day Chair brings online greetings to the offline by providing the birthday person with a hug every time someone writes on their wall for their birthday. That’s not all the chair does though…
- New trend- Beardvertising. A US based agency has started paying men with big, bushy beards to hold advertisements in their beards. Absolutely bonkers!
- Instagram and Vine videos – Nissan is set to use fans Instagram and Vine videos in their next advert for the Versa Note. If you want to feature all you have to do is make a. 6-15 second video about what you love and include a Versa Note cut out.
- Kopparberg putting security tags on their pint glasses. If you try and steal it the tag explodes with ink.
- Naked ladies grab your attention in an advert. “Made of pure muscle,” is the tagline for the new Fiat 500 Abarth Cabrio which uses plenty of naked ladies…. But in a very different, cool way!
- Wimbledon – Robinsons created this TV advert in 2009 and were finally able to edit it with the win of Murray to become the viral hit they always wanted.
- It has been HOT HOT HOT this week and everyone has been talking about it. Here are some campaigns that have smashed it in the past few years when the hot weather comes to town.
- My particular favourite is Stella Artois Cidre. In London, it set up digital advertisements which had real-time, weather activated and location based capabilities. If the ad detected a two degree rise in temperature above the national average, the ads would display on the screen in that area. If the temperature was lower than average or raining, the ads would disappear.
Written by Tom Gatenby