Hello everyone! Please check out this week’s social news…. From Gordon Ramsay to songs in space…
Partnerships and Acquisitions
- Yahoo announces a partnership with Twitter- What will this mean? It will bring real time tweets from politicians, celebrities and alike straight into the Yahoo news content. Great news for Yahoo.
- This comes a week after Bing announced integrated Facebook comments and Likes to searches. Read more on Techcrunch.
- Something to watch out for – The potential acquisition of Tumblr by Yahoo. How much would you pay for the world’s biggest micro blogging network? The same as you would pay for Instagram obviously -$1Billion.
Social Media meltdown caused by Gordon Ramsay– A man who I personally can’t bear to watch due to his over exuberant hand gestures and unnecessary swearing. However, his TV show Ramsay’s kitchen Nightmares USA has brought about some seriously interesting viewing this week. For the first time in over 100 restaurants Gordon’s expertise has failed him- he has not been able to ‘help’ this couple turn their failing restaurant around. The reason being they are the most self-obsessed people I have ever seen. The show caused a Social media backlash and instead of taking the criticism in their stride they have had the biggest social media meltdown I’ve ever seen. Since the meltdown they’ve posted “Obviously our Facebook, YELP, Twitter and Website have been hacked.” – (Obviously not judging by your behaviour on the show) and deleted all of their previous comments. Luckily numerous blogs covered it so check them out on Sick Chirpse.
Are you a sexist on Twitter? According to Twee-Q most of us are. Whether you are sexist or not depends on which genders you retweet according to this… Good one.
- Holland the original Cool– When I think of countries advertising themselves, recommending people to come and visit, I think they are all very much the same. Well Holland made a pretty cool alternative advert – the Original Cool.
- Domino’s – What goes well with a DVD? – pizza. So what Domino’s have done is created a DVD that releases the smell of a pizza and changes to look like a pizza, when the disc ‘heats up’ in the DVD player. “Did you enjoy the movie? The next one will be even better with a hot and delicious Domino’s Pizza.”
- Abercrombie & Fitch go homeless. A & F have come under a lot of criticism because their CEO Mike Jeffries “doesn’t want larger people shopping in his store.” So an online campaign has been started to ‘rebrand’ A & F whether they like it or not by decking out as many homeless people as possible with the A & F merchandise. Brilliant.
- Very cool billboard campaign from Orphea – How do you show how effective your bug catching spray is? You turn your billboard into a bug trap. The result – 230,000 bugs caught on a billboard.
- Google Glass- Now has Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr apps …. and of course Google+.
- Disney letting fans 3D print themselves as storm troopers. This seems to be one of the first personalised uses of 3D printers by brands but expect to see a lot more of this in the future.
- Google and NASA team up to launch Quantum Artificial Intelligence Lab?!?!?
- The first ever song from Space has launched Chris Hadfield into internet stardom!
Finally if you have got this far check out my blog post I did for SickChirpse- I guarantee the video will put a smile on your face. (If you haven’t seen it already).
Written by Tom Gatenby