So I am not sure whether anyone has noticed but there is a sporting event going on at the moment in the UK. Well LOCOG is (quite rightly) making it a little difficult for some brands to get their message across. Weirdly it is the unofficial sponsors who seem to be getting all the air time….
Non Official Sponsors-
- Oddbins Odd Olympics Technique – Anyone who comes into an Oddbins branch wearing Nike trainers and has a receipt for a Pepsi bought at KFC (anyone who supports a brand which isn’t an official sponsor) will receive a 30% discount. A petty way of getting publicity in my mind. Read more at The Drum
- Paddy Power decided to try and bend the rules as Paddy Power does. They are sponsoring the biggest athletics event of the summer in London… Not the Olympics, a huge Egg and Spoon race taking place in London, France next week. LOCOG tried to ban them but Paddy Power fought back and won. Check it out at The Guardian
- Nike Followed Paddy Power’s by filming upcoming athletes from all the different London’s around the world (except this one). It is a feel good video using the #FindYourGreatness hashtag.
- Also…Egyptian Olympic athletes have been kitted out with Fake Nike Kit. Which has caused a huge stir online.
- EDF has created its own online Olympic Light Games using ‘light’ to control your athlete in different events. A first in giving the user a possibility to use the laser from the bottom of the mouse against the webcam of a computer to direct your athlete in the various events
- David Beckham and Adidas reduce child to tears -A feel good viral win from Adidas and Becks.
- Old Spice has brought out its new advert with P & G an official sponsor. It is pretty weird and not up to the standard of their original ones, but worth a watch at YouTube
MORE Olympics social News
- Bad Twitter behaviour –There seems to be a problem with sporting celebrities every week on Twitter. They can’t seem to keep their mouths shut, and racism has been a key problem recently. The latest has cost this Greek her place at the Olympics.
- In case you missed it here was the extremely impressive/funny Fireman Olympics from 2011.
- Figures are continuing to drop with the stock down to $23 after coming to the market at $43. Initial investors could have lost nearly 50%. More Facebook figures at SimplyZesty
- Democrat-oriented software developer NGP VAN is updating a tool using Facebook to increase voter participation for the 2012 US elections.
Other Non-Olympic cool new campaigns
- Vogue iPad app –You will have seen a few weeks ago how beauty bloggers have been used to create an awareness of domestic violence. Well this app from Vogue is a bit of a hidden gem as well. Check it out here Vogue
- Rightmove has launched an interactive digital campaign that casts prospective sellers/landlords into the world of a secret agent using ‘minority report’ style touch screen equipment to gather information on various properties.
- Playboy created its new risqué campaign “Pleasure in your hands”
- 3M Lint Rollers use animal inspired adverts to show off their quality.
- Jack Daniels Being Nice goes Viral. After they wrote the nicestthey wrote ‘the nicest Cease-And-Desist Order of all time’. Check it out here: businessinsider
Posted by Tom Gatenby, Social Media Executive, @tomgatenby1